This is the most common way of making prawns. I tried to make them in a hurry one weekend, so I called my aunt and she gave me the recipe.
Small packet shrimp – tail removed
2 medium sized onions – chopped
5 tomatoes or one 12 oz can diced tomatoes
A pinch turmeric powder (manjal podi/ Pasuppu dhummu)
2 tsp garlic – chopped
2 tsp red chilly powder (milagai podi/ mirrapa dhummu)
1 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a kadai and add a spoon of oil.
- Then add onions and garlic and sauté till the onion is a little brown.
- Then add tomatoes, turmeric and chilly powder. Keep on medium heat and make sure the curry doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the raw smell of the chilly powder has gone – might take upto half hour or more, add salt and taste.
- If it tastes ok, then add shrimp and mix with the curry. Cover for 6-7 minutes. Thokku is done - Enjoy