Thursday, March 8, 2012

Choco Banana Tofu Panna Cotta

Have you ever had tofu in your dessert? Before you say "yew" think again..This is my first trial with tofu as a dessert ingredient. I watched this episode in Food Network where they made honey lemon Panna cotta and I had an instant urge to make something similar but healthy. So I saw some other recipes where they substituted heavy cream with Tofu..I thought it was very interesting and surprisingly I had tofu in my pantry..so I came up with this yummy and healthy panna cotta recipe that you will definitely enjoy!!!
Servings : 4-5


Ingredients:
Tofu - 1/2 lb
Banana, ripened - 1 no
Milk, 2% - 1 cup
Cocoa powder - 3 Tbsp
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Vanilla Extract - 1/2 tsp
Gelatin powder - 1 pouch

Method:
  1. Add tofu, banana, cocoa powder, sugar and half the milk in a blender and blend it to a smooth liquid.
  2. Add the gelatin powder to the remaining milk and let it dissolve for a few minutes. 
  3. Mix the blended liquid with the gelatin mixture and heat up in a pan. When the mixture starts to froth remove from heat before it starts boiling. 
  4. If you want a smooth panna cotta strain the liquid in a strainer to remove any lumps. If you are like me who likes little surprises, just add the mixture to individual serving dishes and refrigerate for at least an hour to cool down. 
Serve chill and enjoy.
I was surprised that I couldn't taste the tofu at all..The banana and chocolate masks the tofu really well..
If you want to make it more interesting, try adding chopped nuts or chopped chocolate chips to the mixture right before refrigerating.
This is a guilt free dessert that you can enjoy anytime!

3 comments:

  1. Tofu in desserts always astonishes me - especially when the dessert looks so perfect :D
    Yum!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Tropical Caramelised Fruity German Pancake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Thanks for stopping by the blog..I've been to your blog and it's awesome..this one with tofu was a shocker for me too!

      Delete
  2. Dessert tastes perfect too !!!

    ReplyDelete